Listen to Chase Fallins Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Pushing Through: My God is Surely Alive!

DUMP SITE IN PHNOM PEHN:


We woke up today and went to a church service! We are working with Clara (who is like the Mother Theresa of Cambodia). She set up a school at the dump site in Phnom Penh, and she also help set up and orphanage for the kids from the dump site. Today as a whole was definitely kind of a push. I needed a day where I had to physically, mentally, and emotionally push through. These past few days God has been showing up, talking, showing me Scripture, and moving in my life. It's not that He doesn't do that daily, its just today it wasn't as present. It was very humbling because I got to see God in the people of Cambodia. It was a challenge to not hear God as clearly today as I have been these past 8 days, It was a challenge, but it was something I definitely needed.

The church service was tough. As I sat there, at the beginning I started worshipping, which is a HUGE way I connect with God! I couldn't get into the worship, and that voice of God "Watch my people worship me, came back." Today was definitely all about watching God's people. It wasn't what can I get out of today, but God where are You moving today, what are You doing today. What are these kids and the rest of my team members experiencing from You today? That what today was. We came back, went to the Russian market. I just want to let you know: Cassie, Matt, Ashley, Austin, and Mom, I got something for all of you! Look forward to it! Dad yours is on the way. I want it to be a little clever and I haven't found exactly the right thing yet, but I promise I will!

After the Russian market, we changed and went to the dump site. Thousands of people live in this dump site, and sift through trash daily to make money. Miles, and miles, and miles, of trash. Acres! These kids do the same thing. Why can't they just leave? They have nowhere to go, this is their living! So I had to help the kids make a cross and glues broken pieces of stone into the cross. Then they had to write Jesus loves me on the inside, in English and Kumar (pronounced Ku-mai). 4 groups of kids, 20-25 kids in each group, 15 minutes with each group.

Ahh God, I want to spend all day with these kids, I am tired of being rushed.
"Chase, the amount of time doesn't matter. Your physical presence here matters"
But I could bring so much more if I got more time with them.
"What you bring to them is what I have blessed you with! You have no idea what I am doing! Trust me!"
Okay.

These kids constantly smiled, constantly. I taught some of them handshakes, and then gave one kid my bandanna. It was tied around my wrist (thanks Zack Pittman for showing me that trick). He pointed it out and I asked him if he wanted it. Of course, and who was I to deny him? I tied it around his wrist just like I had it, and his face was so joyous! Smiles go a long way! Then we went to the orphanage. We only got about an hour there as well, but the minute we showed up the kids FLOCKED to us! All of them crawled and climbed on us, shook our hands, and took pictures with us! Immediately I saw an 8 year old playing on some jimbay style drums. He was never off beat, and was a phenomenal drummer for an 8 year old. Not only could he play those drums, but he could play the rest of the instruments there just like every other kid. They all could dance as well. I got an opportunity to show him how to twirl the drum stick around his finger like I do with pens, forks, knives, ect... He caught on so quick! Within 5 minutes he had everything down but catching it after the rotation. "Keep practicing" I told him. We then got a chance to dance with them! As I left I told this kid bye and gave him a five. As I was walking out I felt a tug on my shorts. My little drummer was back. I picked him up and gave him a huge hug! Then we took a picture together. "Thank you" he said! Then he smiled real big, and left.

This one interaction reminded me of my purpose here. Yes we are all going to grow from this experience, and continue to grow once we get back. But this trip isn't just about my personal growth. This trip is about God, and teaching Him and being taught by these kids of Cambodia. So far they have taught me much more than I could ever teach them. It is funny how that works out isn't it? God is so big! The only words I can seem to speak after today is. Thank you! Thank you God!

"My God is not dead, He is surely alive, and He's living on the inside roaring like a lion!" -- David Crowder Band

--Discerning the Call
Chase Fallin

No comments:

Post a Comment