Listen to Chase Fallins Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sidelined




Sidelined. It is not a word I like to hear. We woke up and had an amazing breakfast. I had french toast. We then proceeded to have a 4 hour drive to Sahoksville (the city by the sea). The first thing I thought when we arrived was this is too much. Our hotel where we are staying for the next 4 nights, and the youth conference is being held, is nice for this part of the country. We are by no means "roughing it." We have air conditioning in our rooms, a TV, and all have our own bed. When we sat down to eat lunch, we were served broiled shrimp, rice, and meat for our rice. We definitely won't be going hungry. I was almost frustrated and started to become upset. It almost seems like we are living in luxury. God, why? This isn't what I pictured at all. We are supposed to be serving these people, we are supposed to be out of our comfort zone. Why are we not? Then the answer came through scripture spoken aloud by Kevin. Paul says "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." -- Philippians 4:11-12. Being here is a blessing of God! Whether air conditioned or not, we are here because God placed us here. We must be content with what He has given us! What I do know is that He has given us a little over 200 Cambodian youth to interact with.

After lunch, we went to the beach. Watching these kids (most of whom have never seen a beach or ocean in their life) interact with each other and with us was amazing, to say the least. From the moment I stepped onto that beach, I could not stop smiling. None of them were afraid of the water at all. None of them were shy either. They came and talked with us, threw frisbee with us, asked us our names and age, and even taught us some of their language. I can't even remember how to say hello and I have been told at least ten times. By far my favorite part of this beach journey was getting to interact with a 1-2 year old child. I did not know his name, but he showed no fear of the water at all! This kid brought so much joy into my heart. At first he had on just a t-shirt and his mom took him for what we thought was to leave. We were mistaken when he showed back up completely naked, covered in sand, and started playing in the water again. I got a few pictures of him (which I will post sometime during the trip) and he would always pose the same way every time. The constant joy on this kids face humbled me so much.

As we got back to the hotel, we got showered up and went to dinner. Another meal of rice, and three different platters with, beef, pork, or shrimp to put on the rice. Well mom and dad, you don't have to worry about me loosing weight for at least the first week. Then we met as a group and prayed with the 4 others from south Louisiana that we are here with. After that we proceeded to worship. My first thoughts were: "Yes, worship! I get to worship with these youth kids, and we are going to get to praise God together!" Wrong.

"You are going to sit out tonight"
Sidelined. Okay God, so what do I do?
"Watch my people worship me."

And watch I did. I have never seen so much passion!! These people are on FIRE for God! Although I could understand none of it, I could feel the Spirit moving in every single one of them. They were all praying, shouting, singing, dancing. It was a beautiful sight to see! "Get used to it. This is how they worship every time" is what Jack Odell told us. Jack is the leader of the group from south Louisiana. This is his third of fourth trip to Cambodia. So, as for what God has in store for these next few days, I can't wait to find out. Whatever it is I know that I must learn to be content whatever the circumstances. I send my love to all. My family, friends, everyone back home. You are sorely missed, and I am thinking about all of you! Continue to keep us in your prayers.

--Discerning the Call
Chase Fallin

No comments:

Post a Comment