Listen to Chase Fallins Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hope




The day started off with hurt and sorrow. Dan, the leader of Asian Hope, and our leader for the remainder of the trip picked us up. We parked, walked along the river, and talked about Asian Hope. We talked about Asian Hope as an organization, their background, how Jack got involved, and what we were going to be doing for the next nineteen days. As we were talking many people came up to us asking us for money, or if we wanted to buy anything. The first group of kids that we actually came upon were very nice. We gave them our water and they talked with us, and one kid flexed like he was a wrestler. The next two kids that came up to us were a different story. They followed us around for at least thirty minutes. At first they were just asking us to buy books, but for some reason one of the kids became angry. This kid was ten years old at the most. Out of nowhere he just started cussing us out. "F*** you, F*** you all." He kept repeating it over and over again. He even began to shove through us and to hit some of us. This immediately upset me. He then hit David, and David grabbed him by the back of the neck and pushed him away. Not extremely forcefully, but enough to let the kid know he was stronger. I became distraught after that. Once that happened things just progressively got worse. The kid grabbed rocks, threatened to throw them at us, continued to curse us out. Numerous times Dan had to take rocks from the kids hands. Dan sat down with the kid very calmly and talked to him, but it seemed like nothing helped. This continued to happen until we left.

I broke into tears immediately after getting on the van. What makes this kid so angry? What has hardened his heart like this? We aren't just called to serve and minister to the kids in the organizations we are with, but to everyone. I wanted this kid to see the love I had for him, but his hatred for us blinded him to that. That was something I needed to see, and this is a reality. All the kids in Cambodia aren't like the ones we have worked with. All of them don't always run and greet you, or jump and climb on you. It was something I definitely needed to see. What God is showing me with that, I am still trying to discern. When we got to the hospitality house I immediately took out my Bible.

"Turn to Matthew 5!"
Okay God.

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." Matthew 5:38-42

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:43-48.

That is exactly what I needed to hear. Then Kevin came to talk with me. He spoke so much truth, and reminded me that I can't control others. Both brought me a lot of comfort, and I knew I needed to talk to David as well. We ate a wonderful lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bananas. We then went to LOGOS! This is the school that was founded by Asian Hope, and where we will be doing most of our work for the next nineteen days. This school is very diverse; filled with Cambodian, American, Korean, and Canadian students. They all speak English as well, and are required to if they go to school there. We toured the school, and it is wonderful! Three stories of classrooms, a cafeteria on the roof covered by the awning, a pool, a basketball court, and a soccer field! YES! Immediately I was like soccer that's what's up! For the next two and a half hours I got to play soccer with some of the kids from the school. These kids were anywhere from 7th-12th grade! We had three teams of 6 and we played ten minute games and rotated teams. I wasn't picked first, but I was the first American picked! Josh Riggs and I actually got picked for the same team. "Okay so here are our two goals:" Josh Riggs said "One, show these guys that we are actually decent. Two, talk a little trash." Josh likes to talk trash when he isn't that great a something hahaha. I love it. We didn't talk any trash, but we did both hold our own for playing with kids who have played soccer all their lives. And yes, I actually scored a goal, which was my goal for the day. I must admit though I did front flip at mid-field after I scored, but they all laughed and applauded.

After soccer, back home to shower up, and eat dinner. This place feels like home, it just feels right. That is the only way I know how to explain it. Dinner was a phenomenal rice and beef with french fries. Then we met as a team, and Krystle told her testimony. It was amazing! She has been through so much, and God is still working on her heart. It was great to just meet as a team as well, which we haven't done since the youth camp. Afterwards I went to talk with David. God continues to surprise me with David. He has grown so much since we have been here, and has become so receptive to hearing other people. I have gained so much respect for him, and love him so much! I now understand that unconditional love that Kevin and Krystle have for him, and I definitely have it as well! Then David, Josh Riggs, and myself just sat, talked and laughed for an hour. I love being here with these guys. Everyone! My team is full of wonderful sons and daughters of Christ. I can't wait to see the way God moves over these next nineteen days. I pray that we would all continue to be open to it, and our expectations would constantly continue to be shattered.

--Discerning the Call
Chase Fallin

No comments:

Post a Comment