Listen to Chase Fallins Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Vine vs The Branches




I just want to start by sharing my prayer letter for the day. Thank you so much Cynthia for this quote:

"I am a vine. You are little branches. I am the only vine that reaches the ground and has roots rich in the soil. If you don't anchor yourself in me, you will be a brittle, dead branch. If you make a home in me, you will bear fruit. That's the whole point of a branch. I am your Father. You are my beautiful children, and I am your providing and forgiving comforter."

This comes from the book "Jesus with Dirty Feet" and it stresses so much what we are here to do. Today we worked in a school that was funded by Transform Asia like Asian Hope with LOGOS. These kids were orphans from the dump site. Not only do they teach these kids colors, numbers, how to read and write, teach them English, but they also teach them about God as well. If these kids don't learn about God, and learn to anchor themselves in God they will be a dead branch. It really made me think about how many people around the world don't know or believe in God. These kids are not just given a physical home with this school, but they are also given a home in God. They are being taught what it means to have a relationship with God. They are taught songs about God, and they have so much joy in their face. The fact that they are being taught about God, they will bear fruit. The seed is being planted and watered so to speak. It says "You are my beautiful children." Sometimes we forget that there are people all over the world that are God's children as well, even the ones who don't know about or believe in God. It isn't just about us and our personal relationship with God. Yes, that is important, but that isn't everything.

This also reminds me of John 15 when Jesus talks about being the vine. It also talks about pruning and that we are constantly pruned back. Because we are a part of the vine, and Jesus is the vine, without Him we will be brittle dead branches. We are constantly being pruned daily, and it is because we are part of the vine of Jesus. Jesus is the only vine that reaches the ground and has roots rich in soil. We must be in relationship with Him constantly. We must seek Him out not only in our lives, but in the lives of others as well. We must also bring this news to those that can't get it. That is what we are doing here. This quote just reminds me of why I am here, why I am called to missions, and my purpose in all of this. I didn't read this until the end of the day, but it is funny how that brought meaning to my entire day.

It seems like lately I have been going through the days just going: "Okay God, where are you going to show up? What are you going to show me? And over and over God is going: "Oh you think I am going to move there? You think I am going to show up where you want me to? Sorry, but I don't work that way!" God really showed up in this prayer letter. I am constantly learning that there are ways to experience God outside of the ways that I already know, or that are familiar to me. I am in a different country, you think that would be an easy thing to comprehend. In no way is that easy at all! God doesn't move the same way every time, and I am not going to experience Him the same way every time. I may have instances where I experience Him in similar ways, but everyday isn't going to be like that. I am not going to audibly hear Him everyday. Somedays He is going to show up point blank, slap me in my face, and say here I am! Other days I am going to have to look and search. It is constant growth, and I am constantly being transformed and shaped everyday in my thinking and in my actions. God is my providing and giving comforter. Just because I don't experience Him a certain way every day, doesn't mean I am abandoned. He is always there, and always providing.

--Discerning the Call
Chase Fallin

No comments:

Post a Comment