Listen to Chase Fallins Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Persecution




I have been in Kampong Thom province since Monday, and just got back around 6 pm today! This province was three hours away from Phnom Penh. These two and a half days there were really a struggle for me. I am just exhausted. Plain and simple. Physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally I am spent. I need time to relax and reflect on what God has done here and the ways He is working. I know that I really won't get that until I fly back, in four days, on Sunday.

Today what I have on my heart isn't really personally about what I saw while we were in Kampong Thom. What I have on my heart is a verse I read today on the way back. It comes from 2 Timothy.

"This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God's word is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory." --2 Timothy 2:8-11

It was my turn to talk tonight at group meeting. I could tell about where God had shown up today, or ask a question just basically whatever I wanted. I decided to read this scripture and ask the question, "Where have you suffered, or been persecuted for your faith?" Since we have been here, I haven't really felt persecution for my beliefs. Most of the people we interact with on a daily basis know God, and are striving to have a relationship with Him. That is one expectation I had coming here as well. I wanted to do street ministry, I want to take the word to those that are persecuted for sharing it. That expectation just like ever other was shattered.

Now Paul and the apostles were repeatedly beaten, whipped, and persecuted not only physically but with words as well. A lot of times, myself included, limit persecution to being beaten or physically hurt for sharing the news of Christ, but that is narrow minded. We can be persecuted with words as well. Many people persecuted Paul by speaking against him and speaking lies about him to the churches he was writing to. As much as Paul was persecuted, he doesn't tell us to give up! He tells us God's word is not chained. He also tells us that he endures everything so that others may obtain salvation in Christ Jesus. While it is easy for us to get discouraged or say someone is lost and give up on them, that is not what we are called to do! Anytime we speak to the lost, or even believers, (because we even have a hard time being called out) it is going to be hard. We may be persecuted, whether we are beaten with clubs or with words. We may be mocked, laughed at, spit upon, but we are called to endure. It comes back to the basic truth that we have been taught since we were little: "We are all children of God." Therefore we endure persecution so that our brothers and sisters may know the good news, so that they may receive salvation.

Father I pray for my brothers and sisters who are persecuted daily. Father I pray that they would constantly be reminded of your Truth to bless those who persecute us (Romans 12:14). Father I pray you would give them the strength and endurance to persevere in times of struggle or persecution. Father I pray that you would constantly encourage them by your word. There are people all over the world who are suffering for you! Show them how to rejoice in their suffering! Give them strength father, give them endurance. I love you Lord!

--Discerning the Call
Chase Fallin

No comments:

Post a Comment