Listen to Chase Fallins Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Patience




So tonight in my Wesley small group we did things a bit differently. We started with the passage John 6:25-29:

When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval." Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." -- The Word

We focused on what is our bread that we refuse to eat, or in layman's terms, what is something that we have a hard time accepting from God? Whether that be love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control (the fruits of the Spirit). The idea was to split up into groups of two's and vocalize what this was. As we vocalized it, we wrote down what we had trouble accepting on a piece of paper and then attached it to a plate of fruit that we made for one another. This was to show and encourage that God does provide for us.

As I heard what we were doing, I immediately said, "Well God has shown me all of these this year, I don't really know." When I sat down with James (one of the Wesley interns) it hit me that I have a hard time being patient. I have been called to youth ministry and mission work for four years. I just did my first youth internship last summer, and I am just now about to go on my first mission 4 years after my call! FOUR YEARS! Since the beginning of last year I have wanted to be anywhere but Ruston, Louisiana, and I have not liked my job as a teller at the bank (which I have had on and off for 3 years). God has definitely been teaching me patience and I have to be constantly reminded that God doesn't work on our time. He is omnipotent (almighty or infinite in power) and omnipresent (present everywhere at the same time). We are a culture who can get things instantly. If we want food we can go through a drive-through (instant), we can download music instantly, we can chat, text, or call instantly. We are born into a world that gets what it wants! God doesn't work that way at all, as I have been humbly reminded tonight and throughout this year. I find it ironic now that I am dating a wonderful woman of God who lives 9 hours away. Now tell me that isn't God teaching me patience! I have to be reminded daily that this life I am living is not mine to live, but God's for Him to do His works through me. Whatever and whenever that may be!

Also just a quick update! After 48 hours my fast is over! We are now going through Asian Ministries instead of the VIM. I will find out all the details Sunday night and will let you know. Also in case you were wondering, my first meal was a big ole bowl of red beans and rice!

1 comment:

  1. Diggin the music, the last two songs we sing at our youth groups all the time and believe it or not i can play them on the guitar :D

    Adam

    ReplyDelete